On June 18, 2015, Bill C-42 was given the royal assent and became a law (150 against 121). The Conservative Party voted in favour of this Bill while the other parties unanimously voted against it. At the time, the government quietly rushed the Bill’s review in order to prevent a detailed examination of its impact on public safety. During its campaign, the Liberal Party promised to repeal some legislative changes introduced by the Conservatives. It is now time to formalize its commitments in a timely manner. Therefor, demand that the government:
- Repeal C-42 – restore authorizations to transport handguns, strict screening and routine licensing checks and verification when firearms are purchased
- Eliminate the amnesties for failure to renew licenses and reinstate strict screening measures on renewal as well as continuous eligibility checks
- Ban military assault weapons – update the prohibited and restricted lists consistent with the advice of police experts.
- Strengthen controls on handguns and other restricted weapons
- Establish as quickly as possible, a system to track all gun sales, reestablishing and modernizing measures that were introduced in 1977 but eliminated in 2005.
- Ratify important international agreements – the OAS Inter-American Convention against the illicit manufacturing of and trafficking in firearms, ammunition, explosives, and other related materials, the 2001 Program of Action, the Marking and Tracing Convention.
- Invest in an evidence based strategy to combat the illegal gun trade
- Along with restoring the long form census, restore detailed analysis and sharing of justice statistics including firearms death, injury and crime; imports/exports, firearms used in crime.
- Bring experts on violence prevention back into the policy development process.
- Share those informations (amongst others, the recent legislative changes under the Conservatives) around you and in your mailing.
- Write to Public Safety Minister, Ralph Goodale (feel free to contact us so we can provide you with a letter example or download it here).